Monday, May 8, 2006

Lighting Crashes

Bad news, Good News, and this sandwich is giving me some heartburn.

Bad news, I got a call from my mother on Thrusday. She told me to head down to the retirement home ASAP as my grandfather was starting to pass away. As luck would have it, when I got there he started to recover. They say his blodd pressure dropped faster than Ted Kennedy in a 10k and his oxygen "enrichment" in his blood was severly low. Basically it means his body wash cashing in the chips.

I don't know how I feel about my grandfather passing away. He tought me to love life and people and the things you give each other. He never address death other than to remember the ones you love and the things they tought you, the memories you shared, and to toast their life with a very fine glass of brandy.

He is also what I call the worlds last gentleman. He tought me to open doors for ladies, to treat ladies like ladies, not to swear (still working on that), spit, speak a poor word about someone (still working on that). etc. He also tought me to care about other people, even if it hurts you some times. He tought me about being selfish and being centered on your self. Care and take care of, the people you care about.

The biggest example was when I brought my son to visit him. He refused to allow my son in the room because he didn't want my little boy to remember him this way. He would rather him remember his great-grandfather cutting the Turkey at dinner. Through all the medication, illusions, and stuff his dedication to his family won out. He is what we forgot what a man could be and I am dwarfed by it. I can only hope to keep learning from him and reflect on his teachings even after he passes away.

He never asked me to be perfect, only to try as hard as I can. I promise to keep trying....


Good news! Well except for a false alarm this morning Rebekah is going to have our little girl any minute now. She still wants to work right up until she goes into labor. I am very excited about it and can't wait to hold our daughter in my arms. I don't know what to say other than "Hurry up" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment