Monday, May 21, 2007

Upgrading my super calculator

I think it was four years ago! That is how long it has been since my computer got its last upgrade, not counting the time I got a new hard drive. I got the hard drive cause my other one kicked the bucket. So that doesn't really count.

Anywho, I assume it is way over due for some TLC for "HAL" the computer. I noticed it was laggy when I play Civ4 or run a newer video file. Also my work is starting to use both Office XP and Office 2007. Which means I might want to upgrade so I can work from home.

So I started to put together a list of the stuff I have to upgrade in order to get my system "up to specs". This time I am going AMD, here are the ordered items:

  1. Mother Board: Foxconn NF4SK8AA-8KRS Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD
  2. Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Toledo 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939
  3. Video Card(s): BFG Tech BFGR76256GSOCE GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 (qty 2)
  4. Power Supply: LOGISYS Computer PS575XBK ATX12V 575W Power Supply 100-120V/ 200-240V cUL, FCC, CB, CE, CSA

I am going to keep using my SATA hard drive and attempt to use the same RAM (Older DDR) in the hopes that this mother board is backwards compatible.

I managed to keep this order under $500 and my wife seems to be ok with all this. She has been really patient with me lately. I have spent a couple of thousand dollars on tools and house stuff and I know she is getting really scared of the amount of money coming out of the account. Hell, who could blame her?!?

Reminds me... I need to do the dishes, take out the garbage and give her a night off from the kids and laundry. This week might be mommy's week off!

No comments:

Post a Comment